Skip to main content

Inside Out


I was fine today...

until I was not.

Some days this completely defines what grief feels like. What I am realizing the most is that I can't quite wrap my head around the grief. In some ways I think I will grow stronger, but my heart will always remember Ethan and Nathan fondly. A part of me will always mourn them or hope for them to return to my arms so I can cradle them again. If I don't think about it, I can pretend it never happened. The truth is that it DID happen and that it is very much a part of my life journey now, and accepting that while moving forward gets mucky and sticky at times. 

I want to be able to smile at some things that still make me cry. I want to be able to hear the names Ethan and Nathan apart from posting about them and not feel the longing anymore. 

Some days I feel very vividly the emptiness that is my womb. They were there for a substantial time, more time than they were outside of me in fact. I guess that's why I have become so sensitive to pregnancies around me. I want so very much to be joyful and celebratory for others, but there is an aching within me that the last time I had that has now vanished. It is no more. 

I wonder often about what Ethan and Nathan would be like by now. They would be just a few days shy of 4 months old. I wonder how chunky they may have gotten. I also wonder how Elyana and Ezra would interact with them. Sometimes these wonderings make me happy and other times they make me so deeply sorrowful. I am happy to think that the memory that is Ethan and Nathan brings my children delight, but sorrowful that we cannot actually realize that in the physical no matter how much we would like to. 

Having children during the grief or loss of a baby has had its difficult moments. Elyana somehow seems to think that one day she can hold them on the outside. She draws pictures often of the pair with smiling faces inside my womb. Ezra somehow things there is a doorway or stairway that allows Ethan and Nathan access to and from Heaven. He speaks about passing down his baby toys to them with eager intent. 

I speak of grief candidly because it brings me healing to speak. I feel that breaking the silence will not only bring awareness to others, but it helps me accept that this has happened and that I will be okay. It does not mean I won't hurt over the loss anymore. It doesn't mean that I will forget about it. It means I will push forward for myself, my children, and my family to continue living even though my boys cannot. 

I think about ways in which I can keep them close to heart. I don't want to move forward and have them be forgotten in my home. We include their name when we speak of family. Elyana even draws them in our family portrait flying high up in the sky with smiling faces. This brings me joy that they can know they did have twin brothers, and they were wholeheartedly loved. We also speak of Heaven often as we are comforted in knowing that we will reunite with them when we get there. There still is the question, now what? For me, that is a bigger question to address because Ethan and Nathan spent so much time nearest to me. I guess the now what for me is to move forward with these memories and use them to glorify God. 

I have plans moving forward to bring this story to light in hopes that it will encourage or help other families. I hope that I can serve families that have a need when they are welcoming a baby. I also have a hope to help women who have experienced a loss such as mine. I even want to bring more awareness to conjoined twins. Many people hear conjoined and they may take it as a joke or think of a circus freak show, but when I hear the word, I think of my boys. I think of how they never let each other go when they were within me, when they were in my arms and when they were laid to rest. Maybe it is something others will never quite understand unless they have undergone the experience themselves. 

Today is a plethora of feelings and emotions that I have laid out on this virtual sheet of paper. As I approach nearly a year of when I found out I was pregnant with the boys, I am feeling all the feelings. All I can conclude from all of this is, as cliche as it may sound, it's okay not to be okay. It is okay to feel all of the feelings and today this is where I am. 

xoxo

DC




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...

I can’t Push  Past The Why.  🥺

Change

The leaves are falling  The birds are singing Everything is the same, but it's different. The wind is blowing autumn's silent song I feel the return of feelings I have held onto for so long. Falling  Crashing Swaying Life feels the same, but it's different. Change is evident in the shifting hues Orange Red Yellow Fading into snow. Seasons come, Seasons go. Everything stays the same, but it's different. The streets clear into the night, Everyone sleeps. The morning's glow is a potent light. Bright, as the day covers the ground, Everything around it stays the same it looks the same but it is different. You have forever changed me. You have forever awakened me in a way nothing else has. I want to feel the same but it is different. I want to look the same but I am different. I want to speak the same but the words are different. What once was, will never be. The transition crashes into me, bringing waves of uncertainty. Questions awaken in me. Frustrations soar out of my

Image of God

When Ethan and Nathan were born and I saw their little faces, I lit up with joy. Joy because they were alive. Joy because their warmth brought me comfort. Joy to be beside my husband, holding them nestled between our arms. Utter joy. What many do not know is that aside from my boys being conjoined, my Nathan also had a cleft lip. I have heard many people speak displeasingly of this deformity of the lip, but when I looked at Nathan, I felt joy and I saw beauty. I would even go as far as to say that the cleft gave him a little character. There was obviously no need for surgery because of his demise, but in my eyes he was perfect. He was made in the image of God. His Creator knit him perfectly for me. I know it sounds paradoxical because they were conjoined (an obvious developmental abnormality) and Nathan had a cleft (a facial abnormality), but all the same they were God's children and made in His image.  I remember every little thing about the beauty of each of them. Nathan's c